Bespoke M&E Fit Out for Food Retail Unit
CLIENT: Major food retailer
LOCATION: NW London
CONTRACT LENGTH: 11 months
SERVICES: AMD Design & Build and Principal Contractor.
SECTOR: Food Retail and Distribution
This was a bespoke 100,000 sq ft food production unit for a major high street food retailer. Work consisted of general and food processing centralized ventilation and distribution ductwork; process cooling air supplied via evaporators; Kitchen extract hood installations; Roof ventilation/smoke extract; Steam generation for process and wash down; Hydraulically segregated chilled water cooling installations; Chilled water cooling installation; Softened water for process; Domestic hot and cold services; Welfare waste and specialist kitchen drainage system; Spot cooling VRF, associated BMS and controls; Compressed air service; Access control / CCTV Data and IT; Lighting & Power; Fire Alarm.
This project aimed to optimize the client’s operations as well as sustainability performance through a bespoke M&E retrofit of their critical food production facility.
A tight 11-month schedule, required seamless collaboration on this mission-critical facility upgrade. Strict health and safety standards governed numerous systems.
- Increase space and energy efficiencies through centralized plant design.
- Enhance hygiene standards and food safety compliance with high-grade drainage, ventilation and utilities.
- Futureproof the facility to support scalable production with modular systems.
- Minimize lifetime ownership costs via holistic warranty program and reliable efficiency measures.
- Drive a reduction in facility’s carbon footprint to strengthen sustainability leadership.
To satisfy the complex objectives, our cross-functional team employed a meticulous methodology:
- Construction – Our Principal Contractor role delivered through safe, lean practices on schedule.
- Commissioning – A scientific regimen proved each system against KPIs ahead of milestone handovers.
- Knowledge Sharing – Weekly meetings facilitated collaboration with key onsite stakeholders.
- Continuous Improvement – Daily huddles captured enhancements maintaining quality standards.
- Post-Occupancy – Remote monitoring now optimizes performance through preventative servicing.